Happy hump day! In the food blog world, that can only mean one thing…our bash, hosted by Peas & Crayons!
These eats came from last Wednesday…but if you scroll down, you’ll get to the star of today’s eats — some leftover sweet potato vegetable chili that I teased you with last weekend.
But, first up, my WIAW…
Morning: Oatmeal, of course! In the mix: 1/2 c. oats, 1/2 Tbsp. chia seeds, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, blueberries, and a big scoop ‘o peanut butter. Mmm.
Morning snack: A Pink Lady apple
Lunchtime: I enjoyed some leftover (made with no butter or ranch mix…and still delicious!) that I defrosted from the freezer over celery sticks with some carrots on the side. An awesome, very filling, gluten-free meal!
Afternoon snack: Pomegranate CHO topped with some puffed wheat and almonds — it’s my go-to afternoon snack; I just can’t get enough!
Dinner: I’m not sure why this dinner appears so anemic looking, because it was actually delicious! I enjoyed some Trader Joe’s spinach tortellini with roasted cauliflower and a side salad. (Times my veggie intake x2!)
Bedtime snack: It looks gross, but tastes amazing! A melted banana, topped with a few dark chocolate chips and oats.
And now, an awesome slow-cooker recipe for you that I’ve been enjoying this week!
Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato Vegetable Chili
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c. lentils
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt (I used seasoned salt.)
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- In a 4 to 6- quart slower cooker, combine all of the above ingredients, adding the spices last. Stir well.
- Set crockpot to high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are soft and chili is heated through.
How to “level up” this recipe:
- For an added lean protein, add 1 lb. cooked ground turkey.
How to “level down” this recipe:
- You can easily leave out the peppers.
- For added flavor, serve with cheddar cheese, light sour cream (or plain greek yogurt), and/or crushed tortilla chips.